How long does it take to remodel a bathroom? The answer to this question is the same as the answer for just about any other remodeling question- it varies. A lot. But that isn’t very helpful. To provide an answer, we need to define a few parameters.
– the project involves a hall bathroom in a single family home in the suburbs of Washington, DC
– the bathroom is located on the 2nd floor of the home and is 5’-0” wide and 8’-0” long
– the house was built in the 1950’s and the bathroom is original to the house
– we are going to convert the tub to a shower
– the work will be done under the appropriate permits and will involve inspections by local building officials
For our purposes, we are not going to focus on the “development” of the project. We will assume all the design work, material selections and drawings for permits and the project have been completed. While not our focus, you should aware of the fact that figuring out what the project is can take as long as unyielding the project. It is time well spent- don’t neglect it in your planning.
With the project defined and a few parameters set, let’s get back to the original question. How long does it take to remodel a bathroom? The answer is… about a month, but let’s look at the details.
You will notice that the project has a “flow” to it. Some of the items outlined can happen concurrent with others but others can only happen until after a prior task has been completed. Big picture, the order is:
– start up and protection: for dust control and to protect surfaces on the way to the space
– demolition: removing the interior of the bathroom and because it was built before 1978, we presume lead to be present and we will take appropriate precautions
– any framing work that needs to be done- repairing floor joists/ tile underlayment or building new walls
– plumbing and electrical work and inspections
– drywall work and prep for tile
– tile work and templating for tops and shower enclosure
– setting cabinets and finish electrical and plumbing
– final details, clean up
– install shower glass
Earlier, we said that it took about a month. Well, is this example that is not totally accurate. The space is done and useable EXCEPT for the shower glass. Custom, frameless glass shower enclosures take time to fabricate. We typically experience about a 2 week period from when the detailed measurements are taken at the job site to installation of the glass. Be aware that this can increase during busy times.
So how long to remodel a bathroom? In our scenario, about 6 weeks to be totally complete. For a simpler project (again- 5’ x 8’ space) it might be more in the 2-4 week timeframe. A larger space or a bathroom that has a separate tub and shower will take longer and a Powder Room will take less time.
So how long to remodel a bath? It depends…
Interested in learning more about the remodeling process, pricing and timelines? Click here.