Fred Case founded Case Design/Remodeling in 1961 on a shoe string and a dream of building a business, not a practice. For Fred, the status quo was never enough. He grew Case over the years by bringing innovative solutions to his clients’ needs. His success came not only from staying on top of the latest technology or current trends, but from his ability to listen to how his clients’ wanted to work and to develop processes and systems to match their preferences. It also came from his ability to listen to his team members and implement their ideas. And it came from the importance he placed on the goal of elevating the professionalism of the remodeling industry, and the many years he spent working toward that goal.
Fred continues to believe that this innovation can be found throughout the remodeling industry, and he wants to honor and celebrate it through the Fred Case Remodeling Entrepreneur of the Year Award. The award seeks to recognize each year those who exemplify innovation in their business, innovations that may manifest in different ways: new business processes; unique building processes or use of materials; streamlined systems; relevant training programs; and creative use of technology.
2022 Application Requirements
- Owner(s) of US-based, full-service remodeling businesses doing $6.0mm or less in gross volume the latest fiscal year.
- Businesses must have been continuously operational for at least three full years.
- Nominees from previous years can reapply (as long as requirements above are met); finalists from 2021 must take one year off before reapplying, and all previous winners are not allowed to reapply.
- Nominees must be an individual or partnership (not company) who has made a lasting contribution to the remodeling industry and who meets the following judging criteria:
- Community Service
Active in the community by providing professional services and time
- Business Acumen
An individual with business management skills, high employee relations and a well-designed business model
Significant activities, innovation, or accomplishments in the remodeling industry
- Entrepreneurial Spirit
A true entrepreneurial spirit
How to Enter
Download the 2022 Application by clicking the link below. Completed applications can be submitted to [email protected]. The deadline to apply for the award is July 29, 2022. Feel free to share this information with others who you think might know remodelers deserving of this award. This is a unique opportunity to celebrate and to reward pioneers in our industry – we look forward to hearing from you.
Four finalists will each win $2,500. The winner, to be announced in October, will win an additional $10,000. All finalists are also invited to spend a day at Case Design’s headquarters in Bethesda, MD. Finalists will get the chance to see how Case operates and explore areas that may help their own businesses.
Application deadline from all nominees is July 29, 2022. Judging will take place during the month of August. Three industry-experts act as judges for the award, and nominees will be notified of their placement in early September.
- 2022 – Chris Kornman, Entablature, LLC, New Orleans, LA
- 2021 – Clark Harris, Innovative Construction, Atlanta, GA
- 2020 – A.J. Ballantine, Cornerstone Remodeling, LLC, Ellicott City, MD
- 2019 – Richard Laughlin, Laughlin Homes & Restoration, Fredericksburg, TX
- 2018 – Michael Sauri, TriVistaUSA, Arlington, VA
- 2017 – Brian Diamond, Quality Home Exteriors, Omaha, NE
- 2016 – Chris Risher & Jeremy Martin, RisherMartin Fine Homes, Austin, TX
- 2015 – Bob Gockeler, KraftMaster Renovations, Chatham, NJ
- 2014 – Bill Simone, Custom Design & Construction, El Segundo, CA
- 2013 – Nick Richmond, Matrix Basement Systems, Arlington Heights, IL
- 2012 – Brian Elias, 1-800-Hansons, Troy, MI
- 2011 – Tom Kelly, Neil Kelly Co., Portland, OR
- 2010 – Matt Plaskoff, Plaskoff Construction, Van Nuys, CA
- 2009 – Iris Harrell, Harrell Remodeling, Mountain View, CA
- 2008 – Sal Ferro, Alure Home Improvements, East Meadow, NY
- 2007 – John Abrams, South Mountain Co., West Tisbury, MA
The Fred Case Remodeling Entrepreneur of the Year Award was created in 2007 to recognize the entrepreneurial spirit of remodelers and the importance of creativity and innovation in the remodeling industry. The award is modeled after the professional and personal achievements of Fred Case, who is credited with pioneering the design/build concept in remodeling in the 1970’s. Fred’s vision and insight was instrumental in developing the first certification system for remodelers while chairing the National Education Committee of the National Association of the Remodeling Industry (NARI). He also won the first NARI “Contractor of the Year” (CotY) Award in 1976, and was recognized in 1984 with NARI’s Harold Hammerman “Spirit of Education” Award for excellence in education and training. In 2002, Fred Case was inducted into the National Remodeling Hall of Fame.